AKURINU YOUTH GENERAL CONFERENCE(AYGC)
TheAkurinu Youth General Conference is the Youth Department of the General Conference established to address the challenges, opportunities and obstacles facing young people in the church and to foster among the Akurinu youth a spirit of Akurinu identity, a sense of unity and self respect, as well as in depth awareness of social, economic, political, educational and cultural prospects and adversities.
Further, the youth department through the overall governing Committee herewith referred to as the Central Youth Committee (CYC) is charged with the responsibility of coordinating all the youth activities, projects and programs through Regional offices, and congregational youth fellowship committees.
In inaugurating the Youth department, it was agreed that the department embrace activities of young people and enlist their efforts in the tasks of evangelism and fellowship.
Youth Vision Statement
The Youth Department hopes to see a vibrant and well coordinated youth movement extending to every corner of the nation and Beyond.
The Youth department exists to:-
- Bring young people in fellowship, discipleship and evangelism. (To equip, uplift and up build young people)
- Raise and equip emerging young leaders to serve to the church and society.
- Empower young people physically, economically, socially and politically.
Aims and Objectives
-To develop the inherit abilities and capabilites of young people both individually and collectivelly.
-To encourage literacy and artistic activities among the youth.
-To establish and maintain relations with international youth bodies and national youth structures in other countries
-Mobilize funds both locally and internationally for the course of youth development.
-To popularize and advocate the concept of gender equality among the youth.
-To initiate youth development projects and activities with the aim of ecouraging the active participation of the youth in the process of self empowerment.
-To facilitate implementation, monitor and evaluate youth development programs.
-To pursue advocacy role with regard to the rights and opportunities for the youth with physical and mental disabilities.
-To liaise, and advice the National Governing Council on youth matters
-To cater for the needs of young people between ages 15-35 years.
- Bible and Christ centered service.
- Democratic participation and inclusiveness
- Team work and networking
- Discipline and integrity
Membership is open to all young people of ages 15-35 years. The Youth Department is represented from grassroots (congregations) through Regional Committees then National Executive Council and Central Youth Committee-CYC (overall youth governing body).
Scope of activities
The Youth Department is generally involved in missions (witnessing, crusades, church planting etc), visits (to children’s homes, prisons, etc) schools and colleges guidance and counselling, caring for the aged and sick in the community.
At the CYC Level four major activities are undertaken annually. These are:-
Annual Youth Mission (Akurinu Youth General conference) - (held in April of each year))
This is the major activity in the history of Akurinu youth department. It is held every April and entails a whole week in worship, Bible study, sports and counselling and Seminars/workshop. It is an interactive and participatory event..
Organised by the Youth department in consultation with NEC officials. . A week long witnessing including door to door, person to person, open air crusades and indoor worship services are held. The youth together with the local community led by the Host congregation and the particular regional committee oversees the programme of events.
The Regions, organised youth groups and Congregations hold their activities throughout the year. The most common activities includes :-
Youth camps, overnight prayer meetings (keshas), revival weeks and weekend challenges, bible studies, visitations to youth members, outreach missions, mountain climbing and hikes, sports etc.
The Central Youth Committee (CYC) is open to opportunities for conversation, relationship, cooperation and interaction with similar youth organisations and community organisations dealing with young people such as scouts, KSCF, YMCA, FOCUS (Fellowship of Christian Unions in Colleges and Universities), Youth Fund and the National Youth Council.
The department is committed to initiate and respond to approaches for conversations and common action with other Akurinu organisations pursuing the youth agenda such as, The Akurinu Students Association and the Akurinu Students Network.
The Youth Department is strategically positioned to fulfill its mandate through the following strategies:-
1. Evangelistic Outreach Strategy,
- Establish one congregation per year
- To hold annual mission conventions
- Coordinate monthly prayer rallies for mission in every region
2. Youth economic empowerment
- Fund developments projects
- Higher Education Sponsorship Plan
- Training in Business Enterprise Skills
3. Youth socio-cultural strategy
- Establish a Youth Resources Centre
- Conduct quarterly advocacy forums
- Publish Youth Quarterly Magazine.
4. Leadership Development Strategy
- Hold Annual Leadership Conferences
- Hold Quarterly Consultative Forums for leaders
5. Youth networking and collaboration strategy
- Initiate and respond to ecumenical partnership programmes
- Organise Annual Youth Exchange Programmes
6. Spiritual Development Strategy
- Develop Discipleship Materials
- Organise and coordinate discipleship groups
Partnership and Support Opportunity
The CYC is committed to initiate and respond to all people of good will for common action to uplift and up-build the youth work. Please indicate areas of Interests and send us your response and opinion.
• Evangelistic Strategy
• Youth Economic Empowerment
• Leadership Development
• Discipleship Programmes